Thursday, November 4, 2010

First Memory was Like a Dream

They told me the comma lasted just a day or so, but I have no recollection of the first ten days in ICU.  Later they moved me to a recovery type hospital and this is where the first memory comes from (I think).  Only was it a memory or was it a dream?  And boy do I have a lot of dream sequences that may or may not have been reality floating around.  I do wish I could figure that one out.  But I will start with the hospital, or the prison, or the torture chamber sequence and this of course all depends on interpretation because this one I do think was real.

It was very late at night and I was in bed.  Only the bed had a mesh of sorts all around it running up high above me and seemed to be closed at the top.  Like a cage.  Dreaming right?  I tried to call for help but my mouth was barely able to open so all I could do was whisper.  Now nothing seemed to hurt and so I was, at first, just curious.  What type of dream was I in.  I tried to touch the netting that seemed to be soft, but solid.  Problem was, my hands appeared to be tied down so I couldn't reach out.  This made me try again to call out for help, but like before I couldn't manage anything above a whisper, and now my jaw started to hurt a bit.

I tried to look around but my neck was very stiff so I could only turn my head a bit from side to side.  On the far side of the netting I noted a curtain that appeared to cut the room in half and hence it closed me in beyond the cage itself.  On the far wall beyond the foot of the bed was a television and it was turned on but there was no sound.  If there was sound I do not remember or could not hear.  I don't remember what was being broadcast either, I only know that it added a dim light to the room. 

My feet moved a bit, they did not seem to be, like the arms, tied down.  But like trying to turn my neck there was pain.  I remember laying in this bed for a while, but how long that was I cannot even guess, days, weeks, or seconds, time itself didn't register.  But I do know that I had to relieve my bowels and this began to cause me alarm. Was I in a dream or did I really have to go?   I couldn't get up, I couldn't call for help and I couldn't really see beyond the curtain.  I tried to free my arms, over and over again but to no avail and eventually, this I remember very clearly, I relieved myself.  Then to applaud my own efforts I sprouted urine too.

Welcome back.

No comments:

Post a Comment